The Triboelectric Effect


So I'm at the grocery store ensconced behind a large rolling shopping cart rented for a quarter. Since I will get the quarter back when finished, I don't mind. Grocery list in hand, I feverishly race through the aisles. Suddenly I begin to notice what feels exactly like small electrical shocks. In fact, that's exactly what they are. I had unknowingly become a victim of the triboelectric effect. Sadly there is no cure but as a service to the general populate, I will happily suggest ways to manage it.

Not knowing where to turn I am forced to research this phenomenon myself. I discovered the triboelectric effect, also known as is a type of contact electrification, in which certain materials become electrically charged after they come into frictive contact with a different material. Big words, not mine. In any case, this means that an electrostatic charge is accumulated on the wheels inducing a high electric potential on the cart. If there is no plastic handle or if a person is touching the cart, the electrical charge is conducted to the person.

Aldi's, where I happened to be shopping, has large carts with a combination of plastic and metal on its handles. Touch the metal, start rolling and you'll probably start feeling an uncomfortable tingle. Touch the plastic and you will find relief. Push the cart then let go and you will feel nothing but may lose your cart. Wear gloves and you'll just look plain silly.

I'm tempted to say how recharged I feel after grocery shopping there, but that would not be a good way to conduct myself.

What did you expect, it's not like I'm paid to do this.

James

Comments