Beware Those Traveling In Pairs

I confess, I totally blew it. Yesterday a pair of Jehovah's Witnesses knocked on our door to pass out their tracts. I was totally preoccupied with other matters and my mind was not ready to give an answer to the reason of the hope that lies within me (1 Peter 3:15). I did give them an answer to who Jesus is but did not pursue a conversation about their beliefs, which now I deeply, deeply regret. Should The Lord grant me this opportunity again I will fully engage with gentleness and respect.

There are some basic questions I could have easily asked them without getting very deep into theology. I should have started by asking: We both believe that Jesus is the Son of God, right? And they would agree. I should have followed up by asking: But do you know that He is also God the Son? On this they would not agree since they believe Jesus is 'a' god but not Almighty God. May what follows be a blueprint for a reasonable framework of conversation that will lead to further contemplation on the part of anyone seeking truth about who Scripture says that Jesus is.

The Bible speaks of Jesus as the Mighty God and everlasting Father in perhaps one of the most beloved and often quoted prophecies that Isaiah was inspired to record for our benefit. In chapter 9, verse 6 we read:
For unto us a child is born, unto us a son is given; and the government shall be upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called Wonderful, Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace. Of the increase of his government and of peace there shall be no end…

Yet Isaiah in chapter 10, verse 21 speaks of the Father:
…the remnant of Israel shall lean upon Jehovah, the Holy One of 
Israel, in truth. A remnant shall return, even the remnant of Jacob, unto the mighty God.

Note that there are two mighty Gods mentioned, one being the Christ, the other being Jehovah. Nonetheless, scripture is quite clear in numerous passages that there is only one God:
I am Jehovah, and there is none else; besides me there is no God. Isaiah 45:5
The Mighty One, God, Jehovah, hath spoken… Psalm 50:1
Jesus answered, Hear, O Israel; the Lord our God, the Lord is one. Mark 12:29

The evidence of God’s nature continues in Isaiah 49:26 as it is Jehovah Himself who is referenced as Savior, Redeemer and Mighty God simultaneously:
And I will feed them that oppress thee with their own flesh; and they shall be drunken with their own blood, as with sweet wine: and all flesh shall know that I, Jehovah, am thy Savior, and thy Redeemer, the Mighty One of Jacob.

Scripture confirms that there is only one true God. Isaiah now reminds us that there is but one Savior:
I, even I, am Jehovah; and besides me there is no savior. Isaiah 43:11

Naturally this also is highly significant as it relates to Jesus Christ who also claims this title:
Looking for the blessed hope and appearing of the glory of the great God and our Savior Jesus Christ. Titus 2:13
And they said to the woman, now we believe, not because of thy speaking: for we have heard for ourselves, and know that this is indeed the Savior of the world. John 4:42

Christ is either a true Savior or a false Savior since Jehovah Himself states that there are no other Saviors. Scripture confirms that there is only true Savior. Isaiah continues as Jehovah further assures us that He alone in the first and the last:
Thus saith Jehovah, the King of Israel, and his Redeemer, Jehovah of hosts: I amthe first, and I am the last; and besides me there is no God. Isaiah 44:6

Yet centuries later Christ appears before John in his vision as the first and last:
Fear not; I am the first and the last, and the Living one; and I was dead, and behold,I am alive for evermore, and I have the keys of death and of Hades. Revelation 1:17.18

Logically as well as theologically there can only be one first and one last. Isaiah also writes that every knee shall bow and every tongue shall confess Jehovah is Lord:
By myself have I sworn, the word is gone forth from my mouth in righteousness, and shall not return, that unto me every knee shall bow, every tongue shall swear. Isaiah 45:23

Yet John’s Revelation also states:
Wherefore also God highly exalted him, and gave unto him the name which is above every name; that in the name of Jesus every knee should bow, of things in heaven and things on earth and things under the earth, and that every tongue should confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father. Revelation 2:9-11

Scripture confirms that every knee shall bow and every tongue shall confess that Christ is Lord. This merely scratches the surface of all the divine titles attributed to the Father, Son and Holy Spirit in Holy Scripture. 1 Corinthians 8:6 proves to be the ultimate apologetic concerning this Mighty God as is plainly states:
Yet to us there is one God, the Father, of whom are all things, and we unto him; and one Lord, Jesus Christ, through whom are all things, and we through him.

I close with the historical words of Matthew 2:22, 23 quoting Isaiah 7:14 and as they unite to bring forth the promise of a Wonderful, Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father and Prince of Peace:
Now all this is come to pass, that it might be fulfilled which was spoken by the Lord through the prophet, saying, Behold, the virgin shall be with child, and shall bring forth a son, And they shall call his name Immanuel; which is, being interpreted, God with us. Matthew 2:22, 23

And God will be with us unto the very end of the age! Amen

James

Comments